With their flattering high cut and 70s feel, the wide-leg trousers have been back for a while now, but I got a bit stuck figuring out what shoes to wear with them. This seems even more like a minefield when you realise that actually, all those shoe trends we’re buying into don’t actually suit these wide-leg trousers. (Drama!) But before you throw out those trousers in despair, we’re here to tell you exactly what shoes you should be wearing with them.
The Wide Leg trousers Trend 2018/2019
I’m not complaining about loose-fitted trousers, simply because they are perhaps the most flattering trousers out there. Find one that has a high waist and sits relatively tight around your behind, this will be the most flattering. The wide-leg hides the calves we can feel a bit insecure about from time to time, for me as a true pear shape, it’s a welcome change to skinny jeans.
Shoes and Wide Leg Trousers
So chunky sneakers have made a real comeback along with rugged lace-up boots and platform sandals. These shoes look great contrasted with feminine dresses or under a pair of classic slim jeans. Chunky shoes with wide-leg trousers? Not so much. As a general rule of thumb, you can follow: wide trouser go best with delicate shoes! Let me explain…
1. Kitten heels
Kitten heels have been thrown into a time machine from the 50s and just like that, they are here to stay. The classic shoe is pretty much as delicately feminine as it gets, but right now it’s also super on-trend. Roll up your trousers to show off those cuties and feel like a modern Audrey Hepburn.
2. Classic Trainers
I’d say to completely avoid trainers because they could make you look shorter with wide trousers, but I don’t like to exclude these comfy shoes. If Kitten Heels are a little too ladylike for you, then go for a simple and classic white or black shoe. That means anything from simple canvas sneakers to Adidas Stan Smith's and Converse low tops. The Converse shoes particularly could give you that nonchalant retro vibe if that’s your thing! Just remember chunky = a no-no.
3. Pointy Shoes
Shoes that have a pointed toe have found their match made in heaven with wide-leg trousers, we wouldn’t recommend wearing them with any other trousers actually. The toe will peek out from under, so consider going for a nice colour to really give your look that eye-catching touch. If you go for some pointed pumps you have the advantage of that extra height which in combination with wide-leg trousers will make you look nice and tall.
4. Ankle Boots
When it comes to what shoes to wear with wide-leg trousers, Another fool-proof footwear option are ankle boots with a bit of a heel. Again, the extra height will be super flattering and you should try and find one in a different colour from the trousers you’re planning to look amazing in.
Don’t have the perfect pair of wide-leg trousers yet?
Not to worry, we know just the brand to check out in case you don’t have wide-leg trousers just yet. Yep, it's one of our favourite brands for on-trend fashion pieces: Monki! Check out the trousers they have in their latest collections, but don't forget to finish off your outfit with Monki Tops and Monki Accessories.
- MonkiA pair of cropped wide leg trousers in a thick cotton canvas with a structured silhouette and textured feel. And the drawstring waist adds a sporty detail. Yes pls! Regular fit Wide leg Cropped Drawstring waist Monki cares Better Cotton Initiative Thanks for supporting responsibly grown cotton, together with Monki. Read more about our partnership here.£30.00Monki
Wide leg canvas trousers2XS XS S MMore details
- SALEMonkiMid waist Wide leg Cropped length Stretch-back waist Zip closure Slanted front pockets In a size S the inseam is 65 cm.£15.00
Wide cropped trousers32 34 44More details
- MonkiA pair of wide leg trousers with an elastic waist, oversized fit and ribbed texture. Ur new go-to trousers perfect to dress up or down <3 High waist Wide leg Cropped Elastic waist Slanted front pockets In a size S the inseam is 64 cm.£25.00Monki
Wide ribbed trousersLMore details
- MonkiClassic non-stretch Mid waist Wide leg Cropped Monki cares: Made from organic cotton In a size 28 the waist width is 76 cm and the inseam is 65 cm.£40.00Monki
Mozik grey jeans24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34More details
- MonkiHigh waist Wide leg Zip fly with button fastening Front and back pockets In a size 38 the waist width is 75 cm and the inseam is 73 cm. Monki cares Better Cotton Initiative Thanks for supporting responsibly grown cotton, together with Monki. Read more about our partnership here.£30.00Monki
Wide leg twill trousers42 44 46More details
- SALEMonkiMid waist Wide leg Drawstring waist Hidden side pockets In a size S the inseam is 75 cm.£15.00
Joggers with side stripe2XS XS S M XLMore details
Wide cropped trousers1Mid waist Wide leg Cropped length Stretch-back waist Zip closure Slanted front pockets In a size S the inseam is 65 cm.32 34 36 38 40 44More details
- MonkiHigh waist Wide leg Classic non-stretch Monki cares: Made from organic cotton In a size 28 the waist width is 76 cm and the inseam is 81 cm.£40.00Monki
Yoko jeans33More details
SHOP THE STORY
We've collected our favourite shoes on Fashiola which will be perfect to finish off your wide-leg trousers look!
- Giuseppe ZanottiThese mid-heel black leather ankle boots feature black inserts on the side, and a slightly tapered heel. The design is set on a leather sole with logo.£715.00Giuseppe Zanotti
JUDY35 36 36/5 37 37/5 38 38/5 39 39/5 40 41More details
- SALEThe HutThe Burlington range from Kurt Geiger London features these heeled ankle boots, with an upper made from smooth, plain-pattern white leather. The shoe tapers out into a pointed tip and is supported by a small block heel. Both the lining and the insole are crafted from imitation leather, and the sole itself features cold padding. An inside zip closure fastens the shoe, and the brand logo is featured prominently in gold-tone on the outer side of the heel.Upper: Leather. Lining/Sole: Synthetic.Heel Height: 2£45.00
Women's Burlington Leather Heeled Ankle Boots3More details