Styling your running shoes with anything other than actual running gear would have been unthinkable a year ago. Trends move fast and ever since Scandi Girls have started swapping the chunky sneaker trend with a new, sportier and even more retro dad shoe, we're seeing the running shoe more and more as a fashion staple. Worn with anything from dresses to jeans, running shoe outfits are easier to put together that you'd think and you certainly don't need to be running a marathon to wear these sneakers.
The Running Shoe
As a running shoe, we chose the New Balance 99ov5. It was Steve Jobs' favourite, but that's not why we chose it. The brands' new tagline "Worn by supermodels in London and dads in Ohio" says it all. As a dad sneaker, it's still has a chic and streamlined appeal and is a little more subtle than say Asics shoes. I've chosen this grey pair but you can choose between any other running shoe for these 4 running shoes outfits after you've gotten some inspiration I've added a selection of my favourite running shoes on Fashiola.
- SSENSE£175.00New Balance
US Made 990 V5 Sneakers2Low-top panelled suede and mesh sneakers in grey. Leather trim with perforated detailing in dark grey throughout. Round toe. Lace-up closure in white. Enamelled logo in silver-tone at padded tongue. Padded collar. Logos at heel. Logo applique in silver-tone at sides. ENCAP® foam rubber midsole in grey and white. Treaded Ndurance™ rubber sole in black. Part of the Made Legends collection.Supplier color: Grey/Castlerock35 39.5 41More details
4 Running Shoes Outfits
1. The girly-girl on the run
Can be anything from mini dresses to midi and maxi, just make sure it's about as girly as it gets for that sought-after contrast. Browse through our section of floral dresses and try to stick to girly pastel shades of pink, blue, yellow and green. Avoid looking like a runaway bride and skip the white dresses, trust me I've been there and the comments WILL keep coming. If you want the easy way out in finding the perfect dress, just check out our favorite brands for dresses like Ganni, & Other Stories and Monki (no, it's not a coincidence they are all Scandinavian). Make everything just that extra bit girly with a cute headband and a 90s baguette shoulder bag, you're basically a Swedish girl now.
2. The Fancy-pants meets streetwear
Not only can you mix and match the sporty style of these sneakers with something girly, but you can dress down your formal trousers or outfit. By dress down, I don't mean you'll all of a sudden look sloppy if you keep your outfit sharp the running shoes will add a casual-cool allure. Think Steve Jobs but 10 times more stylish, which means skip the mom jeans and throw on some black formal trousers and a blazer that has a chic tailored feel. This gentlewoman style is best done with cigarette trousers rather than wide-leg trousers, this way you'll avoid looking too baggy-shabby. Team your trousers with a plain high-quality T-shirt and blazer or if you've got a suit looking to buy one, that's even better.
3. The ultimate Tomboy
I love a good boyish look and sometimes the only way to really go with this one is to go all the way. That means big sweats, hoodies, and baggy jeans or cargo trousers and running shoes are the perfect way to finish off the look. For a tomboy look, it's not only about those casual clothing staples but also about picking the right streetwear accessories. Avoid looking too much like you just came out of your boyfriend's closet and try out chicer updates of streetwear staples like fanny packs, bucket hats and caps. Swap the canvas bum bag for leather and go for something more boxy shape-wise.
4. Unleash Your Inner Sporty Princess
Perhaps the most iconic Princess Diana Look right now (or the most influential in fashion the past year and next) is the one in which is she's wearing running shorts, a big sweater and yes, running shoes. This outfit with running shoes is the only one that gives sin to the sporty nature of the footwear staple, but that doesn't mean you have to come from the gym to rock it. The athleisure trend has made sure that wearing cycling shorts and leggings are about as common as throwing on a pair of jeans. For summer, go for the cycling shorts in a simple black or a bolder neon option and in winter just wear your go-to comfy leggings. Opt for quality sportswear as the difference will truly show when you're not in a dark sweaty Rocycle room but in a bright brunch place. Go extra vintage with a pair of classic ray-bans and of course, don't forget those sports socks!
Don't run away from this trend, embrace the comfort with these stylish running shoes (yes, there really is such a thing now). Besides the New Balance 990V5 sneakers, there are plenty of other running shoes that can work for your wardrobe, I've made a little selection of my favourites on Fashiola below. Now that's what us fashion folk call a runner's high.
- LuisaviaromaCreated in collaboration with Kiko Kostadinov. Front lace-up closure. Metallic overlays. Logo details. Rubber sole£199.00Asics
Kiko Kostadinov Gel-korika Sneakers5 5.5 6 6.5 7 7.5 8More details
- LuisaviaromaFront lace-up closure. Logo details. Suede overlays. GORE-TEX® . Rubber sole£185.00Asics
Gel-kayano 5 360 Gore-tex Sneakers4 4.5 5 5.5 6.5More details
- LuisaviaromaFaux leather and mesh upper . Back pull loop . Reflective details. Embroidered details. Logo details . Cotton lining. Layered rubber midsole. Rubber sole£615.00Balenciaga
Track Mesh Running Sneakers39 40 41 42 43 44 45More details
- SALENikeA mash-up of Pegasus' past, the Nike P-6000 features breathable mesh with horizontal and vertical overlays for a 2000s running look that is as striking as, say, a majestic winged horse. Drawing on the design of the Nike Pegasus 25 and 2006, its running aesthetic meets all-day comfort for the streets.£65.97
P-6000 Shoe2.5 3 3.5 5.5 6 6.5 7 7.5 8 8.5 9 9.5More details
- New BalanceThe 530 men’s sneaker is a throwback of one of our classic running shoes. This casual kick combines everyday style with modern tech. ABZORB cushioning underfoot adds superior comfort.Put a retro spin on your step with the 530 men’s sneaker.Unisex 530Sulphur Yellow/Black - Size: UK 3.5£80.00New Balance
Unisex 530 Shoes - Sulphur /UK 3.5 UK 4 UK 4.5 UK 5 UK 5.5 UK 6 UK 6.5 UK 7 UK 7.5 UK 8 UK 8.5 UK 9 UK 9.5 UK 10 UK 10.5 UK 11.5 UK 12.5 UK 13.5More details
- New BalanceThe 530 men’s sneaker is a throwback of one of our classic running shoes. This casual kick combines everyday style with modern tech. ABZORB cushioning underfoot adds superior comfort.Put a retro spin on your step with the 530 men’s sneaker.Unisex 530White/Natural Indigo - Size: UK 7.5£80.00New Balance
Unisex 530 Shoes - /Natural IndigoUK 7.5 UK 8 UK 8.5 UK 9 UK 9.5 UK 10 UK 10.5 UK 12.5More details
- New BalanceThe 530 men’s sneaker is a throwback of one of our classic running shoes. This casual kick combines everyday style with modern tech. ABZORB cushioning underfoot adds superior comfort.Put a retro spin on your step with the 530 men’s sneaker.Unisex 530Team Away Grey/Sulphur Yellow - Size: UK 5£80.00New Balance
Unisex 530 Shoes - Team Away /SulphurUK 5 UK 5.5 UK 6 UK 6.5 UK 7 UK 7.5 UK 8 UK 8.5 UK 9 UK 9.5 UK 10 UK 10.5 UK 11.5 UK 12.5 UK 13.5More details
- HarrodsVETEMENTS - Continuing its celebrated relationship with Reebok, Vetements pays homage to its collaborator's former Premier Running line with the much-awaited Spike Runner sneakers. Fresh off the Paris runway, this pair has a chunky sculpted sole and a dynamic mesh-panelled upper that will ensure you make a fashion statement in every room you step into.£530.00Vetements
Spike Runner Sneakers40 41 42 43 44More details
- SALELN-CCReebok is a global athletic footwear and apparel company, operating as a subsidiary of German sports giant Adidas since 2005. Reebok produces and distributes fitness, running and CrossFit sportswear including clothing and footwear. The DMX Trail Shadow Sneakers are crafted from a technical blend fabrication in a mesh layered finish, featuring DMX Shear cushioning, layered silhouette, lace-up fastening and bulky trek-ready sole. Technical blend fabrication in a mesh layered finish DMX Shear cushioning Layered silhouette Lace-up fastening Bulky trek-ready sole Contrast panels Contemporary aesthetic£90.00
DMX Trail Shadow Sneakers in size US - 10US - 04 US - 05 US - 06 US - 06.5 US - 07 US - 07.5 US - 08 US - 09 US - 10 US - 11 US - 12More details