Ok, ok it's not wrong to use a belt for what it's made for (holding up our trousers) but it's so, so right to wear it as a little fashion centrepiece. The belt is much more than just a handy fashion tool. No longer is it just a strip of leather (quality or not), nor is it a preview of our fashion taste with gold monogram Gucci Logos. The belt has reached bag status when it comes to accessories and nowadays, comes in a plethora of styles. Studded, branded, wide, thin, brown, purple, big buckles, vintage, streetwear-inspired: there are too many types of belts to count. So with all those different styles, what a waste it would be to just tuck them in the loops of your jeans and hide them under your chunky knits. No, these belts deserve to be seen and more than that, they’re actually pretty useful that way.
These answers to the question "how to wear a belt" is an easy way to refresh your go-to look, all you need is said look and a belt and you’ve avoided your third outfit repeat this week. I dove into some street style and found a few looks that work as templates for us to copy. Let’s see what all the fuss is about shall we?
How to wear belts (the fun way)
1. Style your belt with your Jumpsuit
If you don’t already own a jumpsuit you can just grab out of your closet and know you’ll feel great all day, then I highly suggest you find one. If you do have one of these jumpsuits then you might have a reached a point where yes, it always works but it’s also always the same thing. A simple belt will change all that. Whether you’ve got a nonchalant boiler suit, a retro denim jumpsuit, a sexy sleeveless going out jumpsuit or a summery playsuit: adding a belt works like a magic wand. I love how the look above uses the belt to make the jumpsuit look a little more flattering and feminine since the jumpsuit itself would have otherwise been a bit boxy.
2. Style Your belt with your trousers
If you thought belts were just lazy Christmas gifts for your father than think again, they can be a real feminine addition to your look. Adding a waist belt accentuates your curves and more importantly; just makes a plain top and trousers look fabulous. Go for a bold wide belt that has that 70s feel, featuring a large buckle and cinch it around your waist at the height of your belly button. Find a colour or print that contrasts with your outfit, this zebra print belt is turning the whole thing into a glamorous retro ensemble.
3. Style your belt with your blazer
If you’re anything like me, then you’ve been wearing your go-to blazer like there’s no tomorrow. Nothing wrong with that, but if you want to switch it up a little then adding a belt is the way to go. This look works best with oversized, structured blazers and preferably even double-breasted for that retro working-girl touch. Style the blazer and belt combo over a floaty floral skirt or a minimal black midi skirt to create a chic mismatch of styles. This also works perfectly to elevate your go-to jeans or rework your tailored suit.
4. Belt Your Dress
Yes, you may have noticed already – no clothing item is safe from the transformative work of the belt and neither is the dress. Rework the silhouette of your beachy, dreamy maxi dress by cinching a belt around the waist to switch up the proportions. You can do this with any type of belt, but I’d say to make sure it’s in a contrasting colour to the colour and print of your dress, this will have far more of an impact to your look.
5. Wrap it around your coat or jacket
If you’d like a little break from that oversized, baggy feel over your coat then you can easily use a belt to fasten it around the waist for a slightly more figure-hugging effect. A classic peacoat gets that feminine, belted wrap coat feel by just belting it with a separate belt. A boxy teddy coat turns into a style statement when paired with a bold, wide belt to show that your waist exists somewhere under all that fluffiness. This also works great with trench coats and even better when you’re totally on-trend with a belt bag.
Shop Chic Leather Belts
Now that we've covered how to wear a belt the fun way, its time to do a little shopping... It's always a good idea to invest in a high-quality leather belt, go for a minimal design or splurge a little on one of your favourite luxury brands with a monogrammed buckle.
- Yooxleather no appliqués solid colour buckle fastening contains non-textile parts of animal origin 100% Calfskin£84.00Anderson's
Small Leather Goods - Belts26 28 30 32 34 36More details
- Harvey NicholsA double-wrap belt in two-tone leather, accented with a polished Thomas Burberry Monogram buckle. 1.2cm/0.5in wide, Outer: 100% calf leather, Lining: 100% calf leather, Buckle: brass, Hand-painted edges, Made in Italy£250.00Burberry
Reversible Monogram Motif Leather Wrap BeltOne SizeMore details
- Harvey NicholsMade in Italy from a smooth leather, our signature jeans belt is ideal for the everyday. Adding a new double circle buckle in brushed gold, this revamped edit makes for a louder statement and premium dressing. Wear with jeans or as a waist belt.£50.00Jigsaw
Carlos Double Circle BeltOne SizeMore details
- Harvey NicholsA military-inspired belt in grainy leather to customise The medium Belt Bag. 100% calf leather, Hand-painted edges, Polished metal hardware, Made in Italy£190.00Burberry
The Medium Belt Bag Grainy Leather BeltOne SizeMore details
- Ralph LaurenCrafted from crocodile-embossed leather, this reversible belt is finished with our signature "LRL" brass logo buckle.£55.00Lauren by Ralph Lauren
Reversible Leather BeltS M L XLMore details
- Ralph LaurenCrafted from luxurious Saffiano leather, this wardrobe essential features a playful charm for signature "LRL" style.£45.00Lauren by Ralph Lauren
Charm Saffiano Leather BeltXS S M L XLMore details
- MytheresaBring a little Texan touch to your edit with the Fort Worth belt from Golden Goose.£170.00Golden Goose
Fort Worth leather belt70CM 75CM 80CM 85CM 90CM 95CMMore details
- MytheresaThis Italian-crafted leather belt from Valentino Garavani bears the label's VLOGO monogram, downsized here in gleaming golden metal for a glamorous look.£295.00VALENTINO GARAVANI
VLOGO reversible leather belt65CM 70CM 75CM 80CM 85CM 90CMMore details
- MytheresaCinch daily looks with high-octane glamour by opting for Saint Laurent's leather belt, which has been crafted in Italy from croc-embossed calf leather.£385.00Saint Laurent
Monogram leather belt65CM 70CM 75CM 80CM 85CM 90CMMore details
- SALETHE OUTNET.COMBelt Leather Polished Burnished silver hardware Buckle fastening Made in Italy£130.00
Woman Leather Belt Chocolate Size LXS M LMore details
- H&MLeather belt with a metal buckle. Width 4 cm.£14.99H&M
Leather beltXS S M L XL 2XLMore details
- H&MNarrow belt in grained imitation leather with a metal buckle. Width 2 cm.£3.99H&M
Narrow beltM L XL 2XLMore details
- ReissA statement belt can transform an outfit and the wide leather Milly style comes in neutral and features an all-over crocodile-effect pattern that's somewhat exotic. Wear it with denim and boots for a contemporary overall look. * 100% leather * Crocodile-effect pattern * Silver-tone fastening£60.00Reiss
Milly - Leather Crocodile Patterned Belt in , WomensXS S M LMore details
Shop Statement Belts
Whether it's a bold colour, a bit of bling or a fun print; let your belt do all the talking as the centrepiece of your outfit.
- Yooxfaux leather varnished effect logo solid colour adjustable fastening wide Textile fibres£119.00Elisabetta Franchi
Small Leather Goods - Belts10More details
- John Lewis & PartnersKeep ahead of the curve with this John Lewis & Partners Harper belt. Its wide design won't go unnoticed while the woven texture is presented in a classic colour palette that will suit a wide range of outfits. The woven design creates a smooth chevron pattern that is easy on the eye yet bold on the waist. Length Small - 102cm Medium - 112cm Large - 146cm£26.00John Lewis
Harper Woven Statement Belt, /S M LMore details
- SALEYooxleather suede effect logo solid colour adjustable fastening wide contains non-textile parts of animal origin 100% Bovine leather£105.00
£134.00ELISABETTA FRANCHI 24 ORE
Small Leather Goods - Belts14More details
- RevolveB-Low the Belt Ivy Wide Hendrix Belt in Yellow. Size M,S,XS. Snakeskin embossed leather belt. Buckle closure. Measures approx 1.75 HBuckle measures approx 2.5 H. Made in Italy. BLOW-WA113. BW488-705LE. Founded in 2002 by Ana Schoenberg and Carole Goebels, B-Low the Belt offers handmade one-of-a-kind belts inspired by the '60s and '70s fashion. The designers use high-quality leathers and unique materials to create their collection of innovative accessories, many of which have become favorites with the likes of Paris Hilton, Julia Roberts, and Heidi Klum.£177.00B-Low The Belt
Ivy Wide Hendrix Belt in . Size M,S,XS.XS S M LMore details
- SALEFarfetchInspired by streetwear styles, Massimo Giorgetti transforms traditional designs into fun and contemporary pieces that reflect the youthful vibe of the MSGM brand. Accessorize your new-season outfit with this bold red belt from MSGM's AW19 collection.£116.00
Buckled beltLMore details
- ArketMade in Italy from premium leather that has undergone a vegetable tanning process, this wide and structured belt is ideal to be worn at the waist. A bold and elegant style with a large leather-covered buckle. Width 6 cmVegetable tanning means that a hide is converted to soft and supple leather using plant-based tannins, most commonly from bark and leaves, instead of chromium sulphate£69.00ARKET
Leather Waist BeltXS/S M/LMore details
- FarfetchBlack leather wide belt from federica tosi featuring an adjustable fit and a buckle fastening.£63.00FEDERICA TOSI
Wide beltOne SizeMore details
- FarfetchPull your outfit together, literally and figuratively, with this black and beige textile logo belt from Stella McCartney. Fastened with a hook and made for an adjustable fit, this branded accessory lets you take a little piece of Stella with you wherever you go. Featuring a hook fastening, an adjustable fit, gold-tone hardware, a faux leather trim and a bold logo design. POSITIVELY CONSCIOUS: We’ve joined forces with ethical agency Good On You to give you the power to choose positively. This piece is from a brand that scores well on their key criteria.£235.00Stella McCartney
Textile logo belt - NEUTRALSS-M-LMore details
- FarfetchEmbedded crystal stones give the Double G a sparkling effect, following the shape of the House's signature emblem presented with an antiqued gold finish. Placed on a wide leather belt that can be worn at the waist or hips. Black leather;Gold-toned hardware. Crystal Double G buckle. Can be worn as a hip or waist belt. Sizing will differ based on where the belt is worn, please refer to the size guide to find your size.2" width. Made in Italy.£705.00Gucci
Leather belt with crystal Double G buckle90-65-80-100-105-75-85-95More details
- FarfetchPink leather wide buckle belt from ESSENTIEL ANTWERP featuring punch hole detailing, an adjustable fit and an oversized square buckle .£132.00Essentiel Antwerp
Wide buckle belt85-90More details