They say clothes make the man, but really, it’s all in the shoes. Before you even get to smooth talk your way into our thoughts, there’s a good chance we have already glanced at your footwear and made some type of conclusion (aka dating material or not). I can tell you’re having a little bit of panic, please don’t. If you’re going over the question “What do my shoes say about me” over and over again we’re here to drag you out of this existential crisis. Read up and find out why we’d swipe left or right on your footwear game.
What do Vans shoes say about you?
Don’t get me wrong, classic Old Skool Vans are nice shoes, but the problem is that we all have a pair. Do you know what that says about you? You’re not very original – sorry. You probably have a Spotify playlist with the title “Netflix and Chill” and the fact that you can’t seem to put enough effort into finding shoes that aren't on everyone's feet already, probably means you won’t make the effort to text back after two dates.
If you’re a real skateboard guy who’s uniform is Carhartt cargo pants, some kind of branded beanie and whatever else you men are wearing lately, you get a pass. They were invented to suit your needs after all, so it’s a little unfair to say they’re not original for you. But I’m sure the last thing you’re worrying about if you’re this type of guy is what people are thinking of your beat down and dirty Vans.
Have I scared you off of Vans completely? I hope not, because there’s a little hack to wearing Vans without looking like a snooze fest. Just get any pair that isn’t black or white. Checkboard print slip-on shoes or classic Old Skool Vans in bright colours really make a world of difference. You’re funny, like to visit modern art museums by yourself to ponder in front of a Rothko painting, you’re subtly snobby about your coffee order – you know, that kind of vibe.
- FarfetchMulticoloured leather colour-block sneakers from Vans featuring a round toe, a lace-up front fastening, a branded insole and a white rubber sole.£86.00Vans
Colour6.5 7 7.5 8 8.5 9 9.5 10 10.5 11 11.5 12 13More details
- SSENSEHigh-top suede and canvas sneakers in blue. Perforated detailing at round toe. Lace-up closure in off-white. Textile logo patch in white and red at padded tongue. Padded collar. Signature grained leather stripe in white at sides. Rubber midsole in off-white featuring logo in red at heel. Treaded rubber outsole in brown. Supplier color: Forget me not/Marshmallow£80.00Vans
OG Sk8-Hi LX Sneakers38.5 39 39.5 40 43 43.5 44 44.5 45More details
- FarfetchRed and white cotton Vault OG slip-on LX sneakers from Vans featuring a slip-on style, a round toe, elasticated side panels, a checkered pattern, a white rubber sole and rear logo plaque.£55.00Vans
Vault OG slip3.5 8 9.5 10.5 11 11.5 12 13More details
- LuisaviaromaLeather and canvas upper. Front lace-up closure. Contrasting color details and stitching. Logo details. Vulcanized rubber sole£81.00Vans
Old Skool 36 Dx Anaheim Sneakers7 7.5 8 8.5 9 9.5 10 10.5 11 11.5 12More details
What do Chelsea Boots say about you?
You are an actual style god. I’d like to leave it at so I can spend the rest of my day daydreaming about this man, but let me explain a little. When you put on a pair of Chelsea Boots it will instantly transform you into someone who looks like they’ve just really got it together, like all of it. You’re the type to scrunch your face while looking at a wine list and know exactly which South African wine we’d like the most. You can quote Gabriel Garcia Marquez with a sexy Spanish accent from an exchange you did in your teens and you have a swanky job that sounds cool but no one actually understands what it is.
It seems so simple to me to transform your wardrobe with a pair of Chelsea boots, but somehow it’s such a barrier for guys (trust me I have unsuccessfully tried to convince every guy I’ve dated to wear them). For that reason, though it also tell us you’re confident in getting dressed and making bolder fashion moves.
Besides that, it’s basically the shoe equivalent of a turtleneck, smart, confident and refined. But unlike boat shoes or brogues (more on that later) you won’t look like you only hang out with guys from your boarding school. There are lots of different types of Chelsea boots, I’ve rounded up a few really classy yet stylish ones as well as more “tough” ones that are a little bit more Justin Bobby. Look him up if you never had a sister to make you watch re-runs of The Hills on TV.
- SSENSEAnkle-high grained nappa leather Chelsea boots in black. Round toe. Tonal webbing pull-loop at heel collar. Tonal buffed calfskin lining. Tonal webbing trim at heel. Elasticized gussets at sides. Tonal rubber midsole. Tonal treaded rubber outsole.Supplier color: Black/Rugged black£220.00ETQ. Amsterdam
CB 01 Chelsea Boots39 40 41 42 43 44 45More details
- SSENSEAnkle-high buffed leather Chelsea boots in black. Almond toe. Elasticized gusset at sides. Series number stamp in gold-tone at outer side. Tonal grosgrain pull-loop at heel collar. Buffed leather lining in tan. Tan leather sole. Approx. 1 heel. Supplier color: Black£480.00COMMON PROJECTS
Chelsea Boots39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46More details
- FarfetchBlack leather chelsea ankle boots from A.P.C. featuring elasticated side panels, a pull tab at the rear and a low heel.£437.00A.P.C
Chelsea ankle boots41 42More details
- TOWER LondonThe Graeme is a refreshed take on the popular 2976 Chelsea boot made of the Arcadia leather. Featuring tonal double stitch detailing, elastic gussets, an Air Wair™ heel loop, and a streamlined V18 sole. Part of the Kensington collection. - Tonal welt stitching - Goodyear welt construction - Heat-sealing process and distinctive Air Wair "Bouncing Soles" - Arcadia is a high shine leather with a base dye and a contrasting topcoat£124.00Dr. Martens
Dr. Martens Graeme II Arcadia Mens Cherry BootsUK 6 UK 7 UK 8 UK 9 UK 10 UK 11More details
- LuisaviaromaLeather upper. Back pull loop. Side elastic inserts. Logo details at sole. Lined. Treaded rubber sole£460.00Church's
Cornwood Grained Leather Chelsea Boots6 6.5 7 7.5 8 8.5 9 9.5 10 10.5 11 12More details
The Latest Sneaker Drop
What do Trainers say about you?
Sneakerheads have gotten a bad rep lately for what seems like excessive spending on a basic necessity, I mean do we really need more than 5 pairs of trainers? Maybe not, but the fact that you’ve made an effort to look unique and that you’re on top of what is cool right now actually says a lot of positive things about you.
If you’re wearing a pair of fresh kicks you’ve got that glow of “Oh I know someone there”. We’re already picturing us at newest, hippest Peruvian restaurant you know the chef at or on the guestlist for that festival we couldn’t get tickets for. You have a job at a cool agency and you’re Instagram hubby material, both on and off-screen as you know what it takes to take a good photo. Besides that, standing in a queue and roaming around the internet for ages shows dedication, now just dedicate that attention to us and we’re good to go.
Currently, I think brands like Asics and New Balance are offering some really cool colourways and sporty, retro styles. If you want to go even more niche, Hi-Tec Trainers are all the rage as well as Karhu and Mizuno.
- FarfetchYou don’t need to play the game to dress like a pro. Mizuno serves up golf-inspired clothing and high-performance footwear with their signature wave-plate technology. These black Wave Creation sneakers from MIZUNO feature an almond toe, a lace-up front fastening, a ridged rubber sole and a logo patch at the tongue.£165.00Mizuno
Wave Creation sneakers7 7.5 8 8.5 9 9.5 10 10.5 11More details
- SALEENDHome to Karhu, Finland also play host to dozens of festivals each year. Releasing the second part of the ‘Spring Festival’ pack, celebrate the end of the long Finnish winter with this colour-blocked sneaker. Enjoying the outdoor celebrations with the comfort of stretch mesh panels, the colourful pigskin suede capture the colourful and energetic atmosphere of the festival season. Pigskin Suede Uppers Heel Pull Tab EVA Midsole Rubber Outsole£75.00
Fusion 2.0More details
- AsosTrainers by Hi-Tec, There for you all year round, Lace-up fastening, Padded for comfort, Colour-block design, Chunky sole, Flex-groove tread. Founded in 1974 in Shoeburyness (yes, its a real place), England, innovative brand Hi-Tec set out to build a comfortable squash shoe with a lightweight feel. From there, Hi-Tec developed a range of quality kicks, from hiking and football boots to tennis shoes and trainers. 40 years and numerous endorsements later, its now a one-stop-shop for sports-footwear fans everywhere.£80.00Hi-Tec
HiUK 7 UK 8 UK 9 UK 10 UK 11More details
- FarfetchWhite mesh upper sneakers from New Balance featuring a round toe, a lace-up front fastening, a logo patch at the tongue, a padded ankle, a branded insole, a pull tab at the rear and a rubber sole.£99.00New Balance
Mesh upper sneakers7.5 8 8.5 9.5More details
- LuisaviaromaLeather and mesh upper. Front lace-up closure. Embroidered logo detail. Contrasting color details. GEL™ cushioning technology. Rubber sole£152.00Asics
Hbx X Gel-kayano 5 Og Sneakers4.5 5 5.5 6 6.5 7 7.5More details
Loafers and boat shoes
What do loafers and boat shoes say about you?
Oh, you’re a fancy one are you? I don’t want to scare you from loafers and boat shoes as a whole, but 90% of the time we’ll think you’ll just want to brag about some yacht trip you took in St. Tropez.
With boat shoes, there’s no way around the fact that you will look posh and a little snobby. But posh doesn’t have to be a bad thing (A la Wolf of Wall Street). Think of the Italians, they look posh and smooth, and we love Italian men don’t we? So if you’re the kind of guy that doesn’t mind if people think you’re a little snobby – then go for it, you do you! Yacht trips aren’t so bad after all.
Unlike boat shoes, loafers can have a surprising edge to them when bought right. Hip Scandinavian brands like Acne or chic Parisian brands like Sandro or A.P.C will often have loafers in their collections that are more fashion-forward. So wearing loafers doesn’t have to mean that you’re immediately imagined as some kind of posh horror story, but at the same time, it will always have a hint of a traditional attitude.
- FarfetchThe definition of Italian luxury, Salvatore Ferragamo prides itself on a seamless blend of high-quality materials, impeccable craftsmanship and a timeless design vision. These black leather Gancio loafers from Salvatore Ferragamo feature a signature Gancini horse-bit detail, a low vamp and a chunky low block heel.£578.00Salvatore Ferragamo
Gancio loafers5 6 7 7,5 8 9 9,5 10More details
- FarfetchPrada’s stylistic universe is filled with cleverly constructed, confident designs. From season-defining statement styles to impeccably crafted wardrobe perennials, the iconic Italian house’s offering remains at the forefront of fashion. Fashioned in Italy, these brown and black calf leather lace-up boat shoes from Prada feature a round toe, a branded insole and a low heel.£515.00Prada
Lace5 6 6.5 7 7.5 8 8.5 9More details
- Farfetch“Born in 1996, reborn in 2019", this new season sees iconic label Jimmy Choo take on a theme of contemporary nostalgia, with a re-imagination of its archives as seen through the eyes of today's youth. These green leather Marti loafers from Jimmy Choo feature a slip-on style, a brand embossed insole, an almond toe and a silver-tone chevron-inspired metal accessory to the front.£495.00Jimmy choo
Marti loafers40 41 42 42.5 43 43.5 44More details
- FarfetchClassic style, a modern spirit and exceptional quality leatherwork have been hallmarks of Tod’s since its inception in the 1970’s, and all are very much at play in these timeless brown leather penny loafers. These shoes feature a round toe, stitched panels, logo to the front, a branded insole, a slip-on style and a leather sole.£350.00Tod's
Penny loafers5.5 6 6.5 7 7.5 8 8.5 9 9.5 10 11More details
- FarfetchAn Italian superbrand synonymous with quality, tradition and innovation, Tod’s continues to offer the best in luxury shoes this season. Combining extreme comfort with casual elegance, the labels offerings have at once contemporary appeal and a distinctly heritage-inspired aesthetic. These brown leather double T loafers from Tod's feature a round toe and gunmetal-toned hardware.£450.00Tod's
Double T loafers5 6 6.5 7 7.5 8 8.5 9 9.5 10More details
Hopefully, You know a little more about what your shoes say about you. That doesn’t mean you should start wearing sneakers if you want to stop being a boat shoe guy, stay true to yourself men!