Smooth like butter, swirls of cream, biscuit crunch and a drop of champagne, no I’m not naming the things I’m craving right now - I’m talking about this season’s beige outfit hype. The fashion week street style looks have made us hungry for beige-on-beige outfits, a look that breathes luxury from head to toe. But this type of luxury isn't far from your reach, creating a neutral palette can easily be fixed with a few tricks up your sleeve. Now all you have to do is worry about not getting a stain anywhere on your outfit… Good luck with that! But first, let’s see how to get this ultra-chic look together.
What Is Tonal Dressing?
A tonal look is very simply, a look that uses different shades of the same colour to put together an outfit. That means everything, from your shirt to your shoes should be in the same colour, if you think that sounds a bit boring, you are very, very wrong. Mixing and matching is bold, but going for a full-on one colour look is a real show stopper when done right. The easy way into this look is to go put on your favourite shades of black, but going for a colour like red or blue is the real show stopper. This season, it’s not about the bright and stand out colours but a softer creamier palette. Keep reading to find out how to wear a beige outfit.
How To Wear Beige?
1. Mix Shades of Beige
The main trick to tonal dressing is to vary with shades of the same colour and so the same goes for beige. Matching a blouse and wide-leg pants in the same shade look very classic, but adding a darker beige blazer or boots to it will make it feel a little less like a blank canvas and more dynamic. Blush, Wheat, Sandy, champagne, ivory, light gold, tan, toast, mocha, mahogany - there are too many shades of beige to name, so if you’re thinking ‘beige is beige’ then you are mistaken.
2. The Coat is Key
For any Jennifer Lopez fans, you may remember THAT look from Maid in Manhattan. It looked expensive, like really expensive - it looked perfect together and pristine, like dirt, would never even dare to touch her. I was in awe. So when writing this blog, that’s the first thing I thought of - how a full off-white, creamy look is the chicest winter look.
A toasty winter wardrobe isn’t complete without a classic camel or off-white coat, so when you’re putting together your beige outfit this season start from that coat. Lopez’s coat would not have looked as undeniably stylish without that light as a feather beige turtleneck and stylish ivory Dolce & Gabbana pants. Follow her footsteps (maybe a more affordable pair of pants), find a pair of beige heels or ankle boots and you’re off to feel like a million bucks.
- Harvey NicholsAMI stone wool-blend coat Raglan sleeves, two front patch pockets, belt loops, detachable waist tie, button-fastening cuff tabs, back vent, three internal slit pockets, fully lined Button fastenings through front 60% wool, 35% polyamiide, 5% other fibres; lining: 60% cupro, 40% cotton£845.00Ami
Stone Belted Wool-blend Coat40 42More details
- SALETHE OUTNET.COMCoat Bouclé Wool-blend Detachable waist tie Front patch pocket Concealed snap fastening at front Fully lined Non-stretchy fabric Mid-weight fabric Dry clean Imported£130.00
Woman Fenn Belted Wool-blend Bouclé Coat Cream Size 4040 42More details
- SALEHarrodsSandro - A refined finish to sartorial ensembles, this solid-hued Sandro coat is shaped with a long, single-breasted silhouette and on-trend self-tie belt. Effortlessly complementing your officewear or smart-casual outfits, notched lapels will see you through seasons of styles to come, offering a sharp look to combat short-lived trends.£335.40
Belted Wool-Blend CoatFR 34 FR 36 FR 42More details
3. Find A Chic Pantsuit
Instead of looking to add colour to your workwear to stand out, beige will have the same effect and look much, much more classy. This fresh update to the business suit is perfect for summer with a chic linen suit, but when winter comes around a cotton/wool blend suit in beige will be your new office look go-to. Team it with a pair of stylish stilettos or pared-back white sneakers - we’re loving Veja and Common Project for professional-looking casual shoes. Wear an offwhite white or darker shade of mocha shirt under the suit or bring it all together by belting the blazer with a light brownish belt.
4. Add a touch of gold
Luxury is at your fingertips just by adding a hint of gold to your beige outfit. Simple gold jewellery stays true to the subtle glamour of a full beige outfit. To bring J-Lo Up again, her look featured a pair of thick gold hoops, with her hair back in a bun it looked effortlessly elegant. Go for a pair of hoops, delicate necklaces or a set of rings to finish off this tonal look with a touch of bling.
- Yooxgold-plated Brass£35.00JEWELLERY - RingsL OMore details
- HarrodsBvlgari - First unveiled in 1999, Bvlgari's B.Zero1 ring changed the rules and standards of jewellery design thanks to its emphasis on shape and form. Taking Rome's famed Colosseum as its mould, this updated version has been set in 18-karat rose gold and engraved with the iconic BVLGARI double logo as a mark of its Roman heritage. A true icon of Bvlgari's vision, it would make a stunning gift for a special someone.£1,020.00Bvlgari
Rose B.Zero1 Ring49 50 52 53 55 59 64 65More details
- Missoma1987 RETRO REIMAGINED A standout piece from the collection, the Lucky Charm Chain Necklace was inspired by one of Lucy's grandmother's antique necklaces. Featuring five engraved orb charms on a chunky chain, each charm has a unique engraving personal to Lucy - let the four-leaf clover, magpies, dice, heather and shooting star bring you luck. Metal: 18ct Gold Plated on Brass Dimensions: Chain total length 470mm; Chain thickness 6. 4mm; Charms 7. 9 mm Weight: 42. 6g£235.00Missoma
Lucy Williams Lucky Charm Chain NecklaceOne sizeMore details
5. Don’t cheat with Accessories
To really make this look stand out, don’t give up on putting it together when you’ve reached the accessories part of styling your outfit. A beige bag, belt, a pair of shoes and a hat is a fool-proof way to really let this look reach its full stylish potential. Luxuriate in off-white and beige cashmere beanies, scarves and gloves, stylish self-care for when it’s freezing outside. Just think of your gorgeous camel coat - a black or deep burgundy beanie will strip away all that chic glory it offers. For summer light brown sandals will really pull this look together and the same goes for on-trend mini bags or more convenient off-white totes.
6. Cheat a little with Accessories
Let’s say you’ve bought the perfect beige dress with big puffy sleeves and an abundance of butter-shade comfort, you’ve found a pair of camel-coloured flats and bought a pearly headband - but you just don’t have a bag in beige to match it and don’t like any on offer right now. Don’t panic. For every rule, there are a few rule-breakers and we’ll just have to place you in that category. But just don’t throw everything I just said out the door. The magic of this trend and look is that is the soft pallete oozes luxury without really making too much of an effort. So stick to the subdued lightness, but there’s no harm in accessorizing with the softest shades of other colours.
- SALEMytheresaThe Agnes boot from Maryam Nassir Zadeh gets a pastel update this season, crafted out of smooth "Dew" light green leather.£331.00
£474.00MARYAM NASSIR ZADEH
Agnes leather ankle bootsUK 2 UK 5.5 UK 6.5More details
- SALETHE OUTNET.COMLow-top sneakers Leather Platform Designer stamp Round toe Lace-up front Lined in leather Rubber sole Imported£90.00
Woman Leather Sneakers Pastel Size 3636 37More details
Baguette bag with buckleMore details
SHOP THE STORY - BEIGE FASHION
- SALEYooxThis 100% cashmere polo neck is an essential addition to your wardrobe. Characterised by the unprecedented quality of Italian craftsmanship this lightweight knit is designed to stand the test of time. A versatile classic. 100% Regenerated Cashmere£96.00
£103.008 by YOOX
KNITWEAR - TurtlenecksXS S M L XL 2XLMore details
- Yooxmedium leather printed leather metal applications logo solid colour magnetic fastening external pockets internal pockets double handle removable shoulder strap fully lined contains non-textile parts of animal origin Bovine leather£234.00Michael Kors
BAGS - Handbags--More details
- VeryTommy Hilfiger Beanie Hat Size & Fit One size Details Effortless Beanie by Tommy Hilfiger Beige Soft and warm, this on-trend ribbed beanie by Tommy Hilfiger features the iconic branding woven in gold to the front. Turn-up cuff Chunky knit Material Material Content: POLYAMIDE (33%), ACRYLIC (31%), ALPACA (31%), WOOL (5%) Washing Instructions: Wipe Clean£45.00Tommy Hilfiger
Effortless Beanie - BeigeOne sizeMore details
- SALENA-KDThis knit sweater features a high rounded neckline, long sleeves with braided details and ribbed cuffs, a ribbed bottom hem, a stretchy material and a normal fit.£19.77
Camilla Frederikke Sleeve Detail Knitted Sweater - BeigeS M LMore details
- H&MBlouse in a softly draping jacquard weave with a collar, covered buttons down the front and a double-layered, gathered yoke front and back. Long balloon sleeves, wide cuffs with covered buttons, and a gently rounded hem with short slits in the sides.£19.99H&M
Balloon-sleeved blouse22More details
- FarfetchLatte pink leather Milla waist belt from B-Low The Belt featuring an adjustable fit, a wide silhouette and a rectangular buckle fastening.£202.00B-Low The Belt
Milla waist belt - LATTE/XS-S-MMore details
- AtterleySui Ava Ingeborg Vintage Gold Pearl Hair Clip£11.00Sui Ava
Ingeborg Vintage Gold Pearl Hair ClipOne sizeMore details
- SALEH&MShort, wide coat in supersoft pile with notch lapels, buttons down the front and large patch pockets. Lined.£25.00
Pile coatXS S M L XLMore details